layout


Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Bethel

This winter Julie (my coworker for the year) and I get to go out to a few of the remote areas of Alaska. First we spent a few weeks in Bethel. Bethel is a large native village of about 6000. There isn't housing for 6000 so I wondered where everyone lived until one day I was out walking and I saw a truck pull into a driveway and 13 people fell out. Then I heard about a house that our friends visited where there wasn't room to walk because there were people sleeping on every inch of floor space. So that's life in Bethel. Julie and I had quite a bit of time on our hand while our friends were at work so we spent a lot of time exploring the tundra and getting caught up on projects. We also had two Gospel meetings a week and a couple of the neighbors came and listened. We were so thankful for the warm welcome we received from our friends and enjoyed the time we had with them. 
Our little group on Sunday. Missing one


2 comments:

Hilary said...

It makes my heart so happy to see you & Julie together, faithful & content! Love you!

Sharon said...

The sleeping arrangements in Bethel sounds like clowns in a circus car. They just keep coming out and there is no way to imagine them all fitting in there in the first place!